- Find out about the benefits of apple cider vinegar for cleansing your colon as well as overall health.
- Discover the often-overlooked benefits of apple cider vinegar for your digestive system.
- Learn about the best mixers to help amplify the results of apple cider vinegar
- Get tips on how to drink apple cider vinegar for weight loss as well as its limitations to avoid overuse and get the most out of your apple cider vinegar cleanse.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is often viewed as a humble kitchen staple. However, ACV actually has several scientifically proven health benefits. Holistic medicine uses it as a natural colon cleanse and detox. In fact, many swear by the ACV Detox Diet for better health and a balanced digestive system, among other benefits.
Apple cider vinegar’s history as a traditional remedy goes back thousands of years. It remains a popular home remedy to this day. Some of the most common uses include cleansing, wound disinfectant, and cough relief.
Read on to find out more about the benefits of an apple cider vinegar detox. We also share our apple cider vinegar drink recipe to jump-start your detox.
What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar?
The uses of apple cider vinegar in alternative medicine have withstood the tests of time. The scientific community has been looking into the medicinal properties of this age-old concoction. So far, findings support its great potential for overall health. Apple cider vinegar contains between 5% and 6% acetic acid, which gives it its sourness and its many health benefits. Some of the science-backed ways that ACV can benefit health are as follows.
- As with all kinds of vinegar, ACV is a powerful disinfectant and is often used to clean wounds. Its antimicrobial properties also make it an effective natural food preservative.
- Apple cider vinegar can help with the management of Type 2 diabetes. More specifically, it has been shown to improve insulin function and reduce blood sugar levels when taken after meals.
- It can help with weight loss by increasing feelings of fullness and reducing belly fat.
- Animal studies have found that ACV can help reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels and blood pressure.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Detox
Apple cider vinegar can help the body detox by:
- Providing helpful digestive enzymes
- Supporting healthy digestion by adding good bacteria
- Increasing the body’s potassium intake
- Cleansing the colon by removing toxic sludge
- Boosting immune function
- Aiding with weight management
- Promoting skin health and protecting against bacteria
How does apple cider vinegar work? When you buy organic, raw, and unfiltered ACV, you’ll see a cloud substance floating within the liquid – this is referred to as the “Mother.” The Mother contains the proteins, enzymes, and good bacteria that give apple cider vinegar its many health benefits, including its detox properties. It is a natural byproduct of apple cider vinegar’s fermentation process.
Good-quality ACV should be murky and brownish, with the Mother still in it. A clear liquid means that the vinegar has been filtered and pasteurized and will not have the same nutritional profile as the raw cider vinegar.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
As an aid for weight loss, ACV works in several ways: promoting satiety, reducing belly fat, and lowering blood sugar levels.
The studies that found a possible relationship between ACV and weight loss revealed that the ACV drink is most effective when taken before meals. It can help curb appetite by making you feel fuller. ACV adds to the total “bulk” of the food you eat and slows food movement through your digestive tract.
Apple Cider Vinegar Drink Recipe
First 12-weeks of Daily Ingredients:
- Apple Cider Vinegar, 15mL
- Water, 500 mL
Second 12-weeks of Daily Ingredients:
- Apple Cider Vinegar, 30mL
- Water, 500 mL
Combine your apple cider vinegar and water each day. Drink the first mixture each day for 12 consecutive weeks. Then move onto the second set of ingredients, mixed each day, for another 12 weeks.
You can drink this throughout the day or with meals to reduce any possible irritation. The best time of day to take it is in the morning, on an empty stomach. Feel free to add mixers to make this drink more palatable.
What can you mix with apple cider vinegar?
Always dilute apple cider vinegar, as its natural acidity can be irritating for those who aren’t used to drinking ACV. There are several ways to add the vinegar to your diet and benefit from its detox properties.
- Use as a salad dressing, together with extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix with water, honey, and freshly-squeezed lemon juice and chill for a refreshing drink.
- Add a delicious twist to your cider lemonade with some grated ginger. You can drink this hot or iced, depending on your mood. Steep it overnight for a fuller flavor.
- Alternatively, you can always add ACV to ginger tea. Add some honey, and you have an excellent remedy for a sore throat.
- Instead of coffee, you can also get your pick-me-up by making ACV tea. In a glass of warm water, mix two tablespoons ACV, two tablespoons fresh lemon juice, one tablespoon ground cinnamon, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
Especially if you’re taking a simple mixture of ACV and water, ACV and juice, or ACV and tea, always rinse out your mouth with water after finishing your drink. The acids in ACV may damage the enamel of your teeth over time. Rinsing after you drink ACV will help eliminate this risk. Alternatively, you can drink your ACV mixture through a straw. But still do a mouth rinse after as an added measure.
Tip: If you experience gas, bloating, or a stomach ache when drinking ACV on an empty stomach, you can take it with your meals instead.
Pro tip: Take breaks between your ACV detox cycles. Prolonged use of apple cider vinegar can be irritating. A week or more will give your body a chance to regenerate and adjust between detox cycles.
Alternative ways to ease digestion and cleanse the digestive tract
Apple cider vinegar can be an excellent natural way to cleanse your digestive tract. But it isn’t the only one you can try.
For example, Cleanse Infused Plus can be a simple, recipe-free way to detox and safely cleanse the colon. It has enzymes and oxygenated magnesium that help break down waste and neutralize toxins. And as you cleanse your digestive tract, you’ll digest food and absorb nutrients better that can help with weight loss.
If you suffer from constipation, gas, bloating, and other stomach upsets, even a candida infection, Cleanse Infused Plus can help too. It supports the good bacteria in your gut and limits harmful bacteria’s growth, maintaining smooth and regular bowel movements. With a healthier gut, you will also enhance your immune response.