Whether you need a new dinner idea, a fun appetizer for your family or friends, or a simple side dish, this tostada recipe is so versatile and delicious!
The word “Tostada” is Spanish for “toasted” and is the name of a Mexican dish that is served on a toasted or deep-fried corn tortilla. The actual tostada (the toasted corn tortilla) is the base of the recipe and is topped with vegetables and other toppings.
They are a popular menu item at any Mexican restaurant and they are SO easy to make!
For the creamy cilantro sauce, mix in a blender:
- 1 small fist coriander
- 1 Yellow lemon or 1 1/2 green lemon
- 1 Tbsp. Hellman’s vegan mayonnaise
- 4 strips red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to taste
- Cucumber or chopped celery
- Squares or strips of red pepper
- Avocado squares
- Dried tree chili squares or Cayenne Pepper.
Note: Mix the green sauce with the vegetables.
Ingredients for the topping:
Mix and marinate for 10 minutes
- Thin strips of portobellos
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame oil or Tahini
- 2 Tbsp. Miso or Tamari sauce
- Serve the green sauce with vegetables on a tortilla @alemendro or a nopal tortilla with corn.
- Add the portobellos topping and optionally garnish with charbroiled Caribbean chili sauce.
- Remember that sauces give flavor to your food. Salsa is generally the star ingredient in any dish.