There is a growing body of research and scientific studies on the health effects of EMF exposure and although the ‘cellular revolution’ is still relatively new, we are already seeing negative health effects resulting from high EMF exposure.
Scientific Studies provide valuable insight on the Health Effects of EMFs
Scientific research indicates that emissions from electronic devices do have an effect on human biology and we are just beginning to understand how even low levels of Electromagnetic Radiation can have profound long-term biological health effects on humans.
Most publications based on EMF field-discovery research shows clear associations between EMF radiation exposure and adverse biological effects.
One study shows us that significant health symptoms such as insomnia, hair loss, depression, and memory status were associated with exposure to EMR from mobile cell towers.
Another study reveals a risk of specific cancer development and neurodegenerative diseases associated with excessive magnetic field exposure from power lines and other electric current sources. This excessive RF radiation exposure increases the risk of cancer, neurobehavioral effects, and male infertility.
Other studies suggest that because children will experience a more cumulative lifetime exposure to RF radiation that use of cell phones should be treated more cautiously.
Some studies have found that impairment and DNA mutations, which can lead to cancer, has been linked to Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) and Radio Frequency (RF) Electromagnetic Radiation. Other studies have found associations between Electromagnetic Radiation and changes in operator immune function, genetics, and physiological indices.
- Effects of 2.4 GHZ radiofrequency radiation emitted from wi-fi equipment on microrna expression in brain tissue
- Cell biology and EMF safety standards
- Low intensity radiofrequency radiation: a new oxidant for living cells
- Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation on health and immune function of operators
- Extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fields cause DNA strand breaks in normal cells
- Electromagnetic fields and health: DNA-based dosimetry
There is a growing number of individuals who report experiencing symptoms of electromagnetic hypersensitivity. General symptoms associated with EMF hypersensitivity include: fatigue, sleep disturbances, stress, headache, muscle aches/pain, skin burns, and other health symptoms.
Insomnia or Sleeplessness
In January of 2013, A study was conducted investigating the potential health effects of electromagnetic fields with Airport surveillance operators who were regularly exposed to high frequency EMF’s. Self-administered assessment tools were provided to the workers and their visual reaction time along with short-term memory were also tested through standardized testing. The findings of these tests indicated that increased anxiety, social disfunction, insomnia, depression and other somatic symptoms were associated with occupational exposure to radar microwave radiation. Irregular sleep cycles in rats were also found to be associated with EMF radiation exposure.
The EPA categorizes the health effects of radiation exposure into two types of categories.
One category being long-term or stochastic, low-level chronic exposure and the other is high-level or non-stochastic radiation exposure. Either way, radiation is energy and to much of any type of radiation can cause adverse health effects.
Non-ionizing radiation is considered to be lower energy or stochastic, and the noticeable effects may take time to show up. Stochastic radiation exposure has been associated with many ailments and has also been indicted as an environmental toxin and when synergized with other pollutants can lead to exacerbated health issues.
Cell phones and other smart devices emit both Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) radiation and Radio Frequency (RF), and tissues closest to where the devices are being used can absorb this radiation. Some research has found multiple forms of cancer to be associated with radiation exposure. Of course, more evidence is needed as skeptics continue to challenge the conflicting reports due to varying device usage and average age of users getting younger.
- Oxidative mechanisms of biological activity of low-intensity radiofrequency radiation
- The Effects of Cell Phone Waves (900 MHz-GSM Band) on Sperm Parameters and Total Antioxidant Capacity in Rats
- Findings Show Radiation Emissions from Wireless Phones are Class 1 Carcinogens
- Extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fields cause DNA strand breaks in normal cells
- Human disease resulting from exposure to electromagnetic fields
- Electromagnetic Radiation (EMF) and Potential Adverse Health Affects
- National Cancer Institute: cell phones and Cancer Risk
Typically, brain cancer is a rare condition. Epidemiological studies indicate brain tumors account for 1.4% of all cancers and 2.4% of all cancer-related deaths. Nonetheless, statistical evidence has pointed to the increased incidence of rare forms of brain cancer and evidence has pointed to EMF exposure as one possible cause.
- Mobile phone and cordless phone use and the risk for glioma – Analysis of pooled case-control studies in Sweden, 1997–2003 and 2007–2009
- Tumor promotion by exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields below exposure limits for humans
- Occupational exposure to extremely low frequency magnetic fields and brain tumour risks in the INTEROCC study
- Mobile phone use and brain tumors in the CERENAT case-control study
- Intensive mobile phone users at higher risk of brain cancers, says study
- Epidemiological features of brain tumors
- Scientific American: Fact or Fiction? cell phones can cause brain cancer
In 2013, an article was published which received a good deal of short-term media attention. Public awareness seems to have faded since then. The study showed the cause of 4 women under age 40 whom had developed breast cancer without previous family history or genetic disposition. These young women, ages 21 to 39, were found to have developed breast cancer in the shape of their cell phones in the region of the breast tissue, where they had kept their cell phones daily over the course of 10 hours a day for several years. In a more recent 2014 study, researchers found that Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) EMFs may be increase the risk of human breast cancer and that a woman’s exposure to ELF-EMFs may be the risk factor of breast cancer when they are non-menopausal.
- Relationship between exposure to extremely low-frequency electromagnetic fields and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis
- Multifocal Breast Cancer in Young Women with Prolonged Contact between Their Breasts and Their Cellular Phones
Research has indicated that there may be a slight increased risk for leukemia in children caused by exposure to electromagnetic fields. Homes with high levels of Electromagnetic Radiation, due to the proximity of overhead power cables, had an increased incidence of children whom developed this disease. Because only a small number of children got this rare condition, researchers concluded that the results could be due to other factors or chance despite the results being repeatable. International teams of scientists have since tried to study the correlation. They have been unable to explain the mechanism that causes the disease. Some argue that Electromagnetic Radiation must not cause leukemia because if it did stronger evidence would have been found by now. However, this is a mistake. Scientists themselves say it takes many years to definitively prove any theory or, for that matter, many years for the cancers to emerge once exposed. Just because not enough evidence can be found today does not mean the evidence does not exist.
Negative impact on sperm quality was found in several rat model studies when exposed to EMF’s from electronic devices like cell phones and laptop computers. DNA damage and malformations were noted leading to defective sperm with decreased sperm motility.
Similar results were also found in human tests. In response, the medical community cautions men to avoid having cell phones in their pant pockets.
- Use of laptop computers connected to internet through Wi-Fi decreases human sperm motility and increases sperm DNA fragmentation
- Effect of mobile telephones on sperm quality: A systematic review and meta-analysis
- Mobile phones affect multiple sperm quality traits: a meta-analysis
- Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Radiation (RF-EMR) from GSM (0.9/1.8GHz) Mobile Phones Induces Oxidative Stress and Reduces Sperm Motility in Rats
- Web MD: Infertility and Reproduction Health Center
- Exposure to a 900 MHz electromagnetic field for one hour a day over 30 days does change the histopathology and biochemistry of the rat testis
- Structural and ultra-structural study of rat testes influenced by Electromagnetic Radiation
- Effect of long-term exposure of 2.4 GHz radiofrequency radiation emitted from Wi-Fi equipment on testes functions
Potential correlations have been found with cell phone use and negative impact on erectile dysfunction. Research in this area is new and trending. More data is expected to come out shortly.
One current study has found that prolonged computer and mobile phone use is associated with a 6-fold increase in the risk of miscarriage. In another study, researchers found exposure to 2450 MHz EMF, particularly in the prenatal period, resulted in postnatal growth restriction and delayed puberty in female Wistar rats. According other researchers, the fetus is most susceptible to radiation during organogenesis (2-7 weeks after conception) and in the early fetal period (8-15 weeks after conception).
Research also suggests that in-utero exposure to EMF can cause childhood obesity. Children who were exposed to high level of EMF while in the mother’s womb had ~70% risk of suffering from weight problems or obesity during childhood than children who had low in-utero exposure to magnetic fields.
At high levels of radiation exposure, the following can occur: spontaneous abortion, growth restriction, mental retardation, childhood obesity and cancer. Some articles argue that studies have not consistently found a link between non-ionizing radiation and disease. However, the fact that some links have been found is disconcerting. Caution is advised to pregnant women to avoid an unnecessary radiation exposure.
- Use of mobile phone during pregnancy and the risk of spontaneous abortion
- Lifestyle Risk Factors Associated with Threatened Miscarriage: A Case-Control Study
- The effects of long-term exposure to a 2450 MHz electromagnetic field on growth and pubertal development in female Wistar rats
- Correlation between Exposure to Magnetic Fields and Embryonic Development in the First Trimester
- A Prospective Study of In-utero Exposure to Magnetic Fields and the Risk of Childhood Obesity
- Risk of Radiation Exposure to Children and Their Mothers
- Health Effects of Prenatal Radiation Exposure
Researchers have found that babies birthed by mothers exposed to stronger EMF radiation were at 3x the risk of having asthma over babies given birth by mothers who were exposed to weaker EMF radiation.
In 2007, heart disease, asthma, diabetes, dementia, and depression were stated as the 5 leading causes of non-fatal illness by the Institute of Health in Australia. All five were linked to the explosion of wireless technology 15 years ago.
In 2014, a Chinese study was published showing that the expression of the Nrf2 protein was effected by EMF radiation induced by a 900 MHz cell phone and abnormal liver cell morphology was also induced, causing oxidative injury.
Exploring ways of reversing liver damage caused by cell phone radiation was the purpose of this publication.
Published studies reveal the association of extremely low frequency magnetic field exposure and cognitive and physiological effects.
Multi-level disturbances of underlying biology result in Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASCs). Radio Frequency (RF) EMF radiation exposure has been linked to certain biological effects. Research points to Electromagnetic Radiation exposure as an included causative factor for oxidative damage and cellular stress to proteins resulting in neurological harm. This in effect contributes to biological imbalances and exacerbates ACS symptoms for those who have been diagnosed with the disorder.
Tests were conducted exposing rabbits eyes to EMF radiation.
When measured for epithelial cell loss and corneal damage, they found that varying types and levels of thermal injuries can be caused by millimeter-wave antennas which can penetrate below the surface of the eyes.
In 2014, a study involving cow enzymes was conducted as a model for animal exposure. Bovine enzymes were in fact effected by exposure to non-ionizing radiation and some enzymes were completely disabled. Unusual patterns resulted in others while some did not react at all. This corroborates the theory that radiation sensitivity is individual dependent.
EMF radiation exposure at 1800 MHz inhibited the growth of neural cells. This suggests that EMF radiation exposure can ultimately lead to a mechanism by which brain damage can occur.