- 1/2 Lt. Almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or kudzu
- 1 Tsp. agar
- 1/2 cup monk fruit @thefunctionalfoods
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 dates (blended with maple syrup)
- 4 drops of vanilla essence
- 1/2 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of lemon or orange zest (optional)
Instructions for the "Dough"
- Stir 1/4 cup of monk fruit, 1/4 cup of honey with the date, and cornstarch or kudzu in a bowl.
In another bowl, mix the chickpea flour with 1/2 cup of water. Once ready, add it to the monk fruit and cornstarch. Blend it well until you get a thick mixture.
- Boil the almond or coconut milk in a pot, add 4 drops of vanilla essence and a pinch of lemon peel. Once it is boiling add the mixture from the previous bowl and let it cook. Stir it occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Once well cooked, remove it from heat and add the agar.
Make the Caramel
- Mix 1/4 cup of monk fruit with 1/4 cup of maple syrup in a pot with the remaining date and a little bit of water. Turn on the fire. When the caramel changes its color, add 200 ml of hot water, cooking it for 3 minutes until you get a thick transparent brown mixture.
- Place the caramel in a flan mold and the flan on top.
Leave the flan to cool down. Once it is no longer hot, place it in the refrigerator for at least two hours.